Buying a house with a partner
It is common for couples to purchase and maintain a property together with their joint incomes and assets. However, few couples realise - from a legal point - of view how big a step this is and often fail to arrange legal protection should the worst occur.

We’ve answered some frequently asked questions to help clarify what legal protections you can have in place when purchasing with a partner.

Q: Should I buy a property with my partner?

A: Before buying a property with your partner you should both consider:


Q: Why do I need to make a will UK?

A: Your will is the most common and useful tool for establishing your personal assets and wishes for the future. It includes exactly what assets belong to you rather than your partner.  It is essential you have a will in place, otherwise your estate could go into intestacy. If it does, there is no guarantee who will inherit your assets.

We encourage you to make a will when buying a property, whether jointly or solely.  A will is essential for security in the future. If you don’t have time to visit one of our offices, you can always make a will through our online will services at a fraction of the cost.


Q: Why do I need a cohabitation agreement UK?

A: A cohabitation agreement is a document that sets out in advance a couple’s financial arrangements and any other personal agreements they wish to be included. It provides details of what the couple expects from each other should various circumstances such as death or separation occur.

Although the courts may not always enforce all of the clauses (as these agreements are considered honorary) they do tend to provide peace of mind and a point of referral.

Of course, there are a variety of means to provide you with security when purchasing a property with a partner. And it is so important you both take legal advice before agreeing on a course of action.


Q: What is a declaration of trust UK?

A: A declaration of Trust is a legal document which is used to outline the financial arrangement between joint owners of a property. 

This document is commonly used when an unmarried couple are cohabiting and clarifies the percentage of deposit each person will pay. It includes:

Please note that this is a basic guide, for more information please get in touch today.


We use cookies to provide you with the best possible experience. We share these cookies with Google Analytics to help monitor our performance. Find out more about cookies here. Do you consent?