Family Law

Divorce: Where to Start

Filing for divorce is always a difficult process, but we will do everything we can to make it easier on you. We know how hard it is to talk to someone else about your relationship, especially when feelings are running high.

Once you have taken the decision to separate from your spouse or partner this can be a distressing time. However, taking legal advice can make this process easier to understand and navigate.

When it comes to divorce proceedings, we believe in defusing the situation, not fanning the flames.

We aim for a solution that works for everyone – you, your partner and your children (if you have them) and we do our best to keep you out of court and minimise stress

Initial consultation

We offer a fixed fee initial consultation about your situation and what you want to do next. 

During this first meeting, we’ll explain all your options, and what we charge for our work.

If you decide to go ahead and apply for a divorce, we’ll be there to help you at every stage from then on.

How it works

We’ll usually recommend that you go through mediation as a first step. You will both sit down with an impartial third party to agree a financial settlement and/or arrangements for the future care of any children. (Divorce laws require you to try mediation before you go to court, unless you have to make an emergency application.)

If mediation does not proceed for any reason, there are several ways to proceed.

You can negotiate a settlement between your lawyers, with us acting on your behalf.

During a divorce process it can be difficult for both former spouses to agree on a financial settlement. As a final step, if you can’t agree on how to divide up your assets, you can apply to the court for a financial order and ask the court to decide. To fairly distribute assets between former spouses/civil partners filing for divorce, a court will use financial remedies.

The first hearing will usually be about what the assets are worth and whether further financial disclosure is required from you and your partner. The second will aim for a financial settlement, with the judge giving an opinion (not a judgement) on each side’s proposals. If you still can’t agree, the judge will make the decision for you at the third and final hearing.

You can apply for a financial order for a number of reasons:

  • To agree a lump sum payment.
  • To decide who owns a property.
  • To agree maintenance payments to help with children or living expenses.
  • To obtain a share of your partner’s pension.
  • An application for a financial order can only be made at the beginning of the divorce process. If you have already applied for the final legal document (known as a decree absolute), you cannot apply for a financial order.

Once a financial order has been agreed, the Court will approve it and issue a consent order.

Freezing Orders: Freezing orders are a type of financial order issued to prevent your partner from disposing or dealing with assets until the conclusion of the divorce. The Court must be satisfied that your partner is planning to sell an asset with the intention of preventing you from receiving the financial benefit from the asset. If a freezing order is agreed by the Court, it can last for as long as the court deems it necessary.

Pension Sharing: Pension sharing can also be included in a financial order. This allows one person to receive a percentage of the total value of the other person’s pension, this is called a “Pension Credit”. Pension sharing arrangements can include, state pensions, private pensions and any schemes offered by an employer.

However you reach agreement, we’ll be there to help you put it into practice – selling properties, transferring ownership and setting up pension sharing and so on. We’ll also apply for the decree absolute, which ends the divorce process.

Fixed-fee packages

If you require a fixed fee package, we can put you in touch with a member of the team who offers this service. 

Learn more

To learn more about our divorce and separation service please get in touch. 

Taylor Rose Solicitor Services in Commercial, Employment, Property and Family Law.


If you require trusted advice from one of our experts please get in touch, a member of our team will be happy to talk.

No profiles could be found.


We use cookies to provide you with the best possible experience. We share these cookies with Google Analytics to help monitor our performance. Find out more about cookies here. Do you consent?